Monday, December 7, 2009

Remembering Pearl Harbor

I've been there. 

I've hung over the rail of the USS Arizona Memorial and watched the oil droplets bubble to the surface. A solemn and vivid reminder of sacrifice.

I've gazed over the harbor and tried to imagine the attack, the shock, the fear, the confusion, the roar of aircraft, the rat-a-tat-tats, the explosions, the screams, the smoke.

Silence. Lives cut down. Death in paradise.

Unimaginable.

Unprepared.

The enemy poised and pounced.

Peace, peace, where there was no peace.

The Gibralter of the Pacific crumbled.

I stood in that tomb and read the names, tear droplets bubbling to the surface, remembering, though I did not remember.

And I said thank you.

And today I remember, and I say thank you for your sacrifice.

And today I remember the One who gave all. With blood droplets bubbling to the surface.

My Pearl of Great Price. My Rock of Gibralter. My Safe Harbor. My only Defense.

And I say thank You for Your sacrifice.

And the empty tomb. 

"Keep a cool head. Stay alert. The devil is poised to pounce, and would like nothing better than to catch you napping. Keep your guard up." I Peter 5:8 (The Message)

Have you ever been to the Arizona? What was your experience? Are you prepared for sudden attack in your life?

Copyright © 2009 by Sandra Heska King

4 comments:

Melinda Lancaster said...

I have been to the USS Arizonia Memorial. It was life-changing for me. There was such a wide array of emotions that swept over me.

I've experienced sudden attacks. Sometimes I thought I was totally sunk. God rescued me. I pray that in the event that I'm under fire again that I'll be prepared.

Enjoyed the post. It stirred some powerful memories.

Sandra Heska King said...

My husband has worked for companies that did not want all employees on the same plane when traveling to a meeting. Three ships escaped damage because they were not in the harbor that day. What might have been different if the rest hadn't been?

Jody Hedlund said...

I've never been there, but we have a fantastic DVD on the whole experience with live footage and a play by play view of the day. I'm in tears every time I watch it, so I can only imagine how you must have felt to actually stand there! And you beautifully related this to our Lord! Thank you!

Hope you enjoy the snow today!

Sandra Heska King said...

What DVD is that, Jody? I'd like to see it.

I think you'll see more snow than we will, although it does look like a little snow globe out there right now.

Related Posts with Thumbnails