Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Just Josiah

We've been on a Steak and Shake kick. Hubby and I were sipping on our shared chocolate malt (the cherry is always mine) when I felt a little hand on my head and tickles on my shoulder. I heard the mom trying to settle the child down in the booth behind me.

"Who's gittin' me?" I teased as I turned around. The dark-haired 3-year-old giggled.

"What's your name?" I asked.

"Josiah," he said softly, tucking his head down but raising big brown eyes to look at me.

"Oh, what a great Bible name!" I exclaimed. "Did you know Josiah was a king? Are you a king?"

"No," he sighed. "Just Josiah."

I talked about the meadowlark yesterday. I also saw it at one point fluttering up and down a car bumper, stopping occasionally to jab at its reflection in the chrome. Attacking its own likeness. For several weeks every spring we have a robin and a cardinal who spend a large part of the day attacking their own images in our basement windows. I guess it's a territorial or mating thing. At any rate, they don't like the images they see mirrored.

Sometimes we think of ourselves as "just (sigh) Josiah." We focus on our flaws and failings and further corrode our self-image. We might base our self-worth on past, or our appearance, or whether we feel loved or approved, or if we are measuring up to our own expectations. We forget that we are fearfully and wonderfully made, fashioned by the Master's hands, that we are children of the King of the universe. We forget that He created us in His image and are destined for greatness, with a special purpose. We forget how He sees us. Beautiful. Able. Valuable. Perfect. Lovable.

We need to see ourselves in God's eyes. In His mirror.

Definitely not "just Josiah."

"Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! Your workmanship is marvelous--how well I know it." Psalm 139:14 (NLT)

Do you believe it?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails