Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Endless Energy-Boundless Strength


I’m not saying my husband is cheap

Even though he wears a special "uniform" for summer yard work. He cuts off the sleeves of his white dress shirts and completes the ensemble with faded, tattered, and holey jean cutoffs, with strings hanging to his knees--and has no problem wearing the outfit to town. Sometimes I can grab him by the back of the collar on his way out the door. I wish I'd thought to take a picture. (Putting that on my to-do list.)

I’m not saying my husband is cheap.

Even though we’d been married for 25 years before the green mohair sweater that his high school girlfriend gave him finally unraveled--with a little help from someone whose identity shall remain unnamed.

I’m not saying my husband is cheap.

Even though he has the reputation of digging “perfectly good” food out of the trash at work--and if something in our refrigerator looks okay and smells okay, it must be okay to eat. Never mind if it’s been in there for a month. And forget about expiration dates.

I’m not saying my husband is cheap.

Even though he will clean up any leftover food on another's plate. Not just family. Our children’s friends learned that they could just push their half-empty plates toward him.

I’m not saying my husband is cheap.

Even though our kids still convulse with laughter when they recall my chasing him out of the house and through the yard to grab his white T-shirt enough times to finally shred it into an unwearable rag.

It should come as no surprise then that his favorite season is summer.

And that one of his favorite parts of summer is Alpenfest.

And one of his favorite parts (if not the favorite part) of Alpenfest is to stand in line for an hour to gobble up any free (or reduced-with-a-button) food that’s offered--doughnuts, chicken, soup, pancakes, banana splits, etc. And sneak back for seconds if he can.

He also enjoys the opportunity to take me out to a free concert. I can't remember the last time he took me to one where he actually had to purchase a ticket. Come to think of it, our first date was to see the Philadelphia Orchestra in Ann Arbor, and I had to go purchase the tickets. I don’t remember his giving me money or paying me back. Hmm.

Luckily, there are many good family-friendly fun options during Alpenfest, like the Young Americans who perform outside at high noon. I'm always amazed by their endless energy and their boundless strength--no matter how hot the summer sun. They bring their enthusiasm off the stage and right into the crowd.



A free concert. But not cheap. 

I want their enthusiasm. To live out a life of faith that isn't cheap. A life that's free. But costly.

And I want to live it out with extravagance. With endless energy and boundless strength.

And summertime excitement.

“That's why, when I heard of the solid trust you have in the Master Jesus and your outpouring of love to all the followers of Jesus, I couldn't stop thanking God for you—every time I prayed, I'd think of you and give thanks. But I do more than thank. I ask—ask the God of our Master, Jesus Christ, the God of glory—to make you intelligent and discerning in knowing him personally, your eyes focused and clear, so that you can see exactly what it is he is calling you to do, grasp the immensity of this glorious way of life he has for his followers, oh, the utter extravagance of his work in us who trust him—endless energy, boundless strength!” Ephesians 1:15-19 (Message)


NOTE: This post is part of the One Word Blog Carnival on SUMMER. For other thoughts, visit One Word at a Time.

Copyright © 2010 by Sandra Heska King

15 comments:

Kelly Sauer said...

delightful post!

~Brenda said...

Well he may not be cheap, but is he by chance Scottish? My hubby is Scottish ... hence, cheap! ;)

Glynn said...

What do you mean, cheap? I still have the sweater I wore when my youngest was born almost 23 years ago (and I still wear it). I had a pair of cutoffs that I wore from college until I was nearly 50 -- and my wife made me throw them away. I just consigned my favorite loafers to the trash bag -- I bought them 15 years ago. Sigh. Not cheap. Just attached.

Rebecca said...

I had to laugh...I'm used to your husband's brand of "cheap," since it lives around here, too. ;) Thanks for sharing.

Water Shack Lady said...

I love this post. Z must have 30 pairs of old torn de-elasticized Jockey shorts in the garage to use as rags.

He has shoes and clothes older than our children (oldest is 48 ).
Does your Husband keep the air conditioner set on 75 ?
Does he reverse the Swiffer pad and use the other side?

I must not complain...he is a Swiffer fanatic...owns every product they make.

Thanks for the laughs!

Anonymous said...

oh i got a good laugh from this and the comments!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness. I confiscate things from the laundry and throw them away, because it would never happen otherwise. It just has to be done; it's part of the understood, but unspoken vows we wives take!

Great post!

Duane Scott said...

Oh, this is hilarious!!!!! I loved it. :)

Sounds like your husband is a pretty cool guy! I like people that aren't affected by peer pressure. :)

Sandra Heska King said...

@Kelly: Thanks. :)

@Brenda: Swedish. And English.

@Glynn: Are you telling me that DH was attached to the sweater or his old girlfriend?

@Rebecca: DH's uncle was a millionaire. But he used to superglue his shoe soles. I guess it runs in the family. (Except the millionaire part.)

@Water Shack Lady: Too funny. Prefers A/C at 80, heat at 58. Honest. But he humors me @76 and 60.

@Nancy: :) Laughing is good.

@Lainie: Tricks. My MIL used to pick up FIL's dirty underwear from the floor and drop clean ones in the same spot--cuz he'd just put it back on.

@Duane: You got that right. He does not know peer pressure! And yes, he's very cool--even if I pick on him.

lynnmosher said...

Too fun! I wish you had a picture of Mr. Frugal! Give him praise! You probably wouldn't want him to be on the other end of the scale!

katdish said...

SNORT!

Awesome.

Sandra Heska King said...

@Lynn: Too funny. That's what he says. "I'm not cheap. I'm frugal."

@katdish: Giggle. Trust me. I am not making this up.

Anonymous said...

My DH loves to wear outfits like that, not only because he enjoys them... but because they torment our teen children.

Thanks for a great and fun post.

Michelle DeRusha said...

Oh man this one made me laugh...especially the description of his yard-work outfit!

Sandra Heska King said...

@Bridget: I wonder if he dresses like that to torment me . . .

@Michelle: I must take a picture. I must.

Related Posts with Thumbnails