Wednesday, July 21, 2010

There are Rules? A Photoplay Prompt

I wondered what those little lines were on the "P" section of the turny thing-a-ma-jig on my camera! I always freaked when I accidentally bumped into those boundaries.

But guess what? They are supposed to help in photo composition using something called the "rule of thirds." This is the kind of thing I learn by being a part of the High Calling Blogs network.

Am I the only one who had (note past tense) no clue?

I snap pictures I like to look at. That stir something inside. Sometimes (okay, often) they're off center, out of focus, blurry, imperfect, and crooked.

Like me.

There are rules?

I don't like breaking rules. But how can I break the rules when I don't even know the rules? How can I stay within boundaries when I don't know what or where they are?

Claire Burge has posted another PhotoPlay challenge over at HCB using the rule of thirds. Or breaking it.

I've seen some of the entries. They're good. Really good.

But I'm stepping out on a limb. Slipping in under the deadline wire. Taking courage to share. In order to learn. Sharing pictures (I mean photos) that seem to follow the rule--or break it. Taken before I knew there was a rule.





























So these may not follow the rule. They may not even break the rule. Because I didn't know there was a rule. But I like them. Imperfect as they are.

As God loves me, imperfect as I am.

Copyright © 2010 by Sandra Heska King

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think it's more fun to take pictures without rules.

Unknown said...

you have broken and kept the rules really well here.

thank you for playing.

your questions were great, i am heading over to HCB to answer them now : )

Sandra Heska King said...

@Nancy: It's like learning an instrument, I suppose. Gotta learn and play by the rules before you can improvise?

@Claire: Now at least I'll know the rules so I can break them. At least this rule. Boundaries are good. But sometimes ya gotta step outside the lines. Just a tad.

S. Etole said...

You knew them without knowing them ... and saw well.

Tracy said...

Hey I like these photos too; especially the sunflowers.

Michelle DeRusha said...

I'm with you Sandra...I didn't even know there was a rule,the rule of thirds, till I read the HCB post by Claire and saw the other photos. I admit, I was too chicken to try it myself. In lookin at my photos, I realize most of my focal points are dead smack in the center...definitely not off to a third. Hmmmm.

Sandra Heska King said...

@Susan: Thanks. I just read Claire's comment again, and I'm giggling. "You have broken . . . the rules really well here."

@Tracy: Thanks! I do, too. I guess that counts for something. :)

@Michelle: Yep. That's what most of mine are, too. I love what I'm learning!

Connie Arnold said...

Imperfect perhaps but beautiful, just as we are, all created by and loved by God. Thanks for sharing, Sandra.

Related Posts with Thumbnails