Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Seven Basic Steps to Successful Christian Writing

I stumbled today on one of my first articles accepted for publication.  It appeared in The Christian Writer back in 1982, and it's speaking to me even now as I venture back into this scary territory.  Even though the editor, T.A. Norton, wrote "I like its unique concept for success,"  I now find the original a bit corny.  So I've sliced, diced and updated it just a tad.


S  Seek first His kingdom and His righteousness.  A Christian writer puts God first.

U  Understand God gives different gifts and ministries.  A Christian writer must use what He gives.

C  Consecrate your service to the Lord.  Today.  Every day.  To God.  Not money or fame.

C  Commit your way to the Lord.  Trust in Him, and He will do it.  A Christian writer gives control to God.

E  Endure hardship like a good soldier.  A writer's life involves dedication, discipline, and diligence.

S  Study to show yourself approved.  A Christian writer needs to learn the Word as well as the craft.

S  Speak the truth in love.  In season and out of season.  Fiction and nonfiction.  In all genres.

Question:  How do YOU spell SUCCESS?

Scriptures:  Matthew 6:33, I Corinthians 12:4-5, I Chronicles 29:5, Psalm 37:4-5, II Timothy 3:3, II Timothy 2:15, Ephesians 4:15



Copyright © 2009 by Sandra Heska King

8 comments:

Tamika: said...

Sandra, I am tapping this to my laptop. What a profound list of principles.

The first especially, is a scripture I was dealing with last night. Mediating on seeking God in this writing journey before I do anything else.

Wonderful post!

Sandra Heska King said...

Thanks so much, Tamika.

You just reminded me that back in my early online days, I used "seekfirst" as a screen name. A lifeline for any journey.

Blessings.

Linda Yezak said...

Sandy, I love this! I agree that it's profound. Thanks for helping me keep my priorities straight!

Sandra Heska King said...

Thanks so much for stopping in, Linda! That priority thing is something a constant struggle for me.

Jody Hedlund said...

Love that, Sandra! What a perfect way to think about what is true success in God's sight!

Sandra Heska King said...

Thanks, Jody. :)

lynnmosher said...

COOL! Sandy, I loved this! Thanks for writing this. I think I'll save it!

Sandra Heska King said...

COOL, Lynn! Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails