Here are 7 of her tips.
1. Think of your story as a gift. Put lots of excitement in the box. Make it fun to read.
2. Have a central idea. Put it on the back cover because that's what authors do.
3. Add description (detail words).
- No: I got my ears pierced.
- Yes: My mom took me to a little store called Claire's in the mall to get my ears pierced for my seventh birthday.
- No: I was nervous.
- Yes: "Mom," I said. "Hold my hand because I'm kind of nervous."
- No: I sat in the chair.
- Yes: I climbed up on a tall stool, kicked my legs back and forth and bit my lower lip.
- No: It was over.
- Yes: I felt proud when it was over and smiled big when I saw my earrings in the mirror, even though one giant tear floated in my right eye.
- No: The gun was loud.
- Yes: Bang! Bang! The gun shot an earring into each ear, and I did not jump.
Copyright © 2009 by Sandra Heska King