Wednesday, November 18, 2009

No Slip Zone

Life can be slippery.      

Bones can be soft.

Slipping and soft don't go well together.

Especially if you are 80 years old.

My mom knows this.

She glued her seat to a chair for years. First as a medical transcriptionist. Then a secretary, legal transcriptionist, and court recorder. I don't remember seeing a lot of physical activity. Except she loved to swim.

Past tense.

Which reminds me of the time she called 911 because of an intruder in the backyard--namely the snake in the pool. But that's another story.

At any rate, she forgot the bottom glue on Sunday.

She says she reached to put something on the nearby desk. My dad says she was sliding back in her seat after reaching to put something on the nearby desk. A she-says/he-says thing.

No matter. She slipped out of her chair, and hip met floor.

And bone broke.

I know a little about broken bones myself. And I figure I might end up in her slipsteps if I don't take better care of myself. You might, too. Especially if you're a writer or transcriptionist or someone whose life is spent on the bum.

I know I need to get off my behind and engage in weight-bearing, bone-strengthening, muscle-building exercise. Even though my own bones show osteopenia and I take my Actonel almost regularly, I discovered my calcium tablets were 2-1/2 years old. And my exercise program runs on a 2-months-on-10-months-off cycle.

Anyway, the surgeon inserted four pins, and we hope they hold. Otherwise Mom faces a hip replacement.

And I'm going out to buy fresh calcium. And return the treadmill to its original purpose instead of serving as a clothes tree.

Life can be slippery.

Can't put stuff off until tomorrow because tomorrow may deliver an unexpected package.

Can't put off regular exercise because that strengthening can help divert damage when a limb loses balance.

Can't afford softness in my spiritual life either. And how comforting to know that if I feel like I'm slipping, His love will hold me up.

Life can be slippery.

But this is a no-slip zone.

Are you getting enough physical and spiritual exercise?

When I said, "My foot is slipping," your love, O LORD, supported me. ~Psalm 94:18


Copyright © 2009 by Sandra Heska King

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm over here laughing to life over your term "slipsteps"!! Genius! I love this!

Sandra Heska King said...

Giggle. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails