Thursday, November 5, 2009

The Price of Procrastination

Replace a furnace blower motor: Cost $300. 

For failure to check and replace inexpensive furnace filters in a timely fashion.

Another trip around the same mountain.

Bounced check fees from failure to deduct automatic draft. Cost: $200.

Credit card bill paid online two days before its due date instead of three: Cost: Only $10, but a recurring issue.

Differential replaced because the fluid ran dry: $600.

Just for starters.

I too often practice the Scarlett method. I'll think about the diet tomorrow. I'll think about exercise tomorrow. I'll clean house tomorrow. I'll work on my lesson tomorrow.

Then the waistband is too tight, and I can't find the perfect dress for the office party. My neck goes into spasm because of weak muscles, and the doctor sends me to physical therapy. I hide from unexpected company. I pull an all-nighter.

Putting a price on procrastination can be difficult or impossible.

I often wonder if my mother-in-law would have died at 72 from hemorrhagic pancreatitis had she sought medical care when she first began to feel "punk," an unusual occurrence for her.

My own mother would not have suffered for so long from severe hypothyroidism had she undergone routine health maintenance.

Baby Jeremy might not have spent Christmas Day in the hospital after a seizure had I gotten a flu shot and not gifted him with my misery.

Neglecting spiritual maintenance like a regular quiet time, Bible study, and prayer can cost the ability to rise above disappointments and various life challenges.

Neglecting a relationship like putting off a visit, a phone call, a hug, or words of love and forgiveness can cost a lifetime of regret.

At any rate, we will now be checking furnace filters regularly.

I just remembered. I'm late for my annual gynecologic exam and mammogram as well as an eye check. I'm going to get right on that in the morning.

What are you putting off today? What consequences have your suffered from procrastinating?

"You may delay, but time will not." ~Benjamin Franklin

"Procrastination is one of the most common and deadliest of diseases, and its toll on success and happiness is heavy." ~Wayne Gretzky


Copyright © 2009 by Sandra Heska King

6 comments:

prayer bedes said...

I just put "replace furnace filter" on my calendar for tomorrow. Now, I just have to do it, instead of rewriting it again and again.

It is easiest to put off the things that do not "demand" our attention. But, sometimes those are the things we need the most. Thanks for the reminder. =)

Sandra Heska King said...

I'm very familiar with that rewriting thing. :)

Tamika: said...

Sandra thanks for giving me a much needed jolt. Just as I am learning to guard my writing time I have to be as protective to my alone time with the Lord.

I really needed this.

Sandra Heska King said...

Thanks for sharing, Tamika. I'm glad you connected. That blesses me.

Anonymous said...

Girl you said it all right there! There's nothing for me to say, all I can do is give you 3 snaps in a circle..LOL..I'm so happy God isn't waiting on me to pay him back, meet him somewhere, or even to prepare him meal! Lord knows! I often have the problem of making everything top priority and emergent, so I end up never getting anything done! And it seems that when I do manage to finish a "to-do" instead of moving the next one up, I replace the finished one with something else! I do this with my relationship with the Lord as well! I'm still learning and transforming my mind into living out the concept that it's our duty to be good stewards over those things (our bodies, our homes, our children, our spouses, etc) that God has blessed up with and gave us responsibility of! Also, we need to remember that while it's necessary to be diligent and busy, we HAVE to make time to sit at his feet and rest in Him. Resting in Him is the place where wisdom comes and it all makes snese. God's not finished with us yet ladies! We're works in progress...

Sandra Heska King said...

"Three snaps in a circle."

I love it!

The amazing thing is that when we give Him the first of our time and attention, He redeems it. Somehow we end up with more time, more focus, more flow of Him through us, more of the important accomplished.

Related Posts with Thumbnails