Monday, November 9, 2009

Too Much Stuff

My son moved back to town. Even though his first apartment was only the fling of a Frisbee from work. He missed us. He missed his hometown. So he decided to trade spaces. In fact, he paid rent on two digs this month in order to secure a good deal on the new place, now 20-plus miles from "the shop."

He admits to being "OCD." Not Monk. But very particular. Can't tell that anyone ever lived in the old rental. Literally. Looks better than when he moved in.

Also not a procrastinator. He ruminated the plan. Then bolted like a buck fleeing a bullet. Company ready within a couple days.

We visited him Friday night. Practically new two-building complex. Even smells new. One bedroom apartment supplied with a dishwasher, over-the-range microwave, washer and dryer for about $100 less than the other place. Vaulted ceiling in the living room. Woods with a view.

There's a calm peacefulness to this 21-year-old's surroundings. Simple. Sleek. Clean. Collages of family and friends. No scattered photos. No clutter.

Color me green.

Abby and I thought we had made real progress cleaning off her desk Saturday. I mean, we even believed FINDING the desk was a major deal. Jeremy took one look at the white bill organizer, breast cancer pink file box, and two goblets on the upper shelf and declared, "Too much stuff."

So today I struggle with jealously and wistfulness. Looking around with my son's eyes. And even after the declutter rampage of the last year, I say with him:

Too much stuff!

Simplicity still out of reach.

And it begins again.

What stuff can you eliminate from your surroundings or life today?

"There are two ways to get enough: one is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less." ~G.K. Chesterton

Copyright © 2009 by Sandra Heska King

4 comments:

Melinda Lancaster said...

Color me "green" too. I find myself not only envying the simplicity your son has found but the surroundings and peacefulness.

Simplicity is the WORD God has been speaking to me over and over again since returning from vacation. Not just in regards to physical clutter but "other clutter" too. It is a far reach but if a 21 yr. old can grasp it with God's help we can too.
You hit a homerun on this blog, especially with the quote, Sandra. Conformation, even when it strikes a note, is a wonderful things. Thanks for taking the time to share!

Sandra Heska King said...

Thanks, Melinda! Yes, He has been dealing with me about "other clutter," too - head, heart, and home!

I'm so glad you took time to comment!

Eileen Astels Watson said...

Oh I am in serious need of decluttering everything. Magazines, old toys, old decoratios,... just everything. I really wish I had the time to get rid of it all.

Sandra Heska King said...

Hi Eileen!

Little bites.

I started with this strategy. Spend 10-20 minutes and randomly grab 10-20 things a day. They go in trash or in a giveaway box. It works!

As far as magazines. Unless they are trades or professionals that you need to keep, ditch all but the last month or two. Do NOT sit down to look through them! Seriously.

:D

Related Posts with Thumbnails