Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Heaven in a Bookstore

I hope heaven houses bookstores.

Because I love bookstores.

If I ran away from home, you could probably find me in a bookstore.

Dennis and I bond in bookstores. Even aisles away from each other. One of my favorite date nights. And he loves a cheap night out. Not so cheap, though. I must carry something away, even if I have to furtively buy it and hide it under my shirt. However, he is not the most observant of hair changes, so I could probably just walk out with a book on my head. He'd never notice.

And I make my lists. I'll be back!

After Bible study yesterday, I zipped into Best Buy for a quick purchase. When I left, I swear I saw, just next door, a beckoning Barnes & Noble angel.

Who can resist the call of an angel?

Besides, I had to go to the bathroom.

Once inside I was overcome with colors and smells. Breathtaking! Of the store itself. Not the bathroom.

First I explored the magazine racks. Shiny. Crisp. Except for a few now dampened with drool drips. I quickly hid those behind their brothers and sisters.

Behold! The angel Barista beckoned me with the aroma of fresh gurgling.

I grabbed three writing magazines. Dry ones.

No, wait. Two writing magazines and a U.S. News & World Report special collector's edition--Mysteries of Faith.

So toting my purse, my bag, and my brew on my left, I drifted up and down and all around.

I looked for familiar names. I admired colors and shapes. I stroked spines, pulled books out, balanced them on the shelf--all with my right hand.

Before long, I sank to my knees and set my baggage on the floor. I hugged tomes and caressed pages. I tasted first sentences, chewed on chapter headings, and gulped whole paragraphs. I lost myself in stories and wished for a million dollar gift card.

But time tugged me back, and reluctantly I rose to my feet.

Called out from another near-death experience. To the reality that I needed to pick up Gracee from school.

Goodbye, dear friends.

I'll be back!

When was your last visit to a bookstore? Did you come out empty handed?

"Where is human nature so weak as in the bookstore?"~Henry Ward Beecher

Copyright © 2009 by Sandra Heska King

8 comments:

Jody Hedlund said...

Loved the quote by Henry Ward Beecher! It's awesome and so true! And it is incredibly hard to walk out of a bookstore without at least one book! What's the fun in going treasure hunting if you can't carry away a treasure!

Sandra Heska King said...

Whoever came up with the term "window shopping" never looked in a bookstore window!

Anonymous said...

LOL...You're brilliant! For a few months now, I've refused to go into a bookstore! I just can't do it and walk out with peace of mind and contentment! They're evil! I tell you they're evil! LOL Besides going in there and feeling like no matter how much money I make I can't afford to get all the titles that I see, when in the world am I gonna be able to read them all! LOL I've just created an account on Shelfari.com and I go to the library to get my Reads...that's as far as I'll allow myself...FOR NOW!! ;-P

Sandra Heska King said...

I so hear you! I went on a book fast once. Didn't last long. Now I figure it is my duty and responsibility to support my favorite authors, and new ones, and old ones . . .

Anonymous said...

Are any of you on Shelfari.com?? I love that site! If you're not and you go to start an account, send me a message! I'll add you as a friend! We can see what each other is reading, review, rate, talk about it, suggest new books...it doesn't get better than that! I would love to see the books on your shelf Sandra!

Sandra Heska King said...

I will have to explore that site. I'm a member of goodreads, but have only hunted for quotes there. Have to explore it, too. So many good places. So much good stuff. Only so much time. ;)

Wylie @ Shout A Joyful Noise! said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sandra Heska King said...

You've blessed me by visiting. Welcome, and I look forward to seeing you again!

Related Posts with Thumbnails